Happy new year! In Episode 5, host Brandon Aaskov, Rocket Insights founder Jesse Streb and Rocket software developers Dave Oelfke, Richard Pressler and Ryan Serewicz discuss how to help people who are interested in software development figure out if it might be a good fit for them. Along the way, they dive into the topic of coding bootcamps as well as discuss their own beginnings with software development.
- 0:00 - Intros. How to explain software development to people who don't know it.
- 1:50 - Why does your friend want to code? Get on the emotional rollercoaster of coding.
- 2:45 - Bootcamps - Who do they work for, who don't they work for?
- 9:00 - Self paced course/book learning as an alternative to bootcamps.
- 11:40 - What sparked your interest in coding?
- 13:30 - The TI-83 calculator was an important milestone in programming.
- 14:34 - I want to build R2D2!
- 16:00 - Beginning with Devops and Amazon Web Services. Other tools that can help out beginners.
- 18:45 - The ups and downs of frontend development.
- 22:45 - What is the theme of success in people who do well in software development?
- 25:00 - What happened to books!?
- 26:15 - Middle out learning
- 27:00 - Pickle a friend.com! Creative use of the
- 28:00 - Picks!