In episode 3, host Brandon Aaskov talks with Rocket Insights Software Developers Dave Oelfke and Ian Pirro about State Management on the UI. They go deep on Redux, alternatives to Redux, and where these tools should and should not be used. As always, we end with our picks (totally unrelated to State Management) for you to follow up on!
- 0:00 - Intros and a brief history of Redux. Opinions abound!
- Scott O'Brien - The Rocket Insights dev who (used to) troll Dan Abramov (creator of Redux) on Twitter
- 2:30 - What is Redux?
- 3:30 - GraphQL and Apollo as an alternative (or compliment) to Redux.
- 5:00 - When does using Redux make sense?
- 8:45 - Redux vs. MobX.
- 14:15 - Angular 1.3 two way binding, oh no!
- 16:45 - When should you reach for Redux? When are your components too complicated?
- 17:30 - Should you use React's Context instead?
- 18:03 - Will React Hooks do away with Redux?
- Note: This episode was recorded when Hooks weren't yet available for GA release.
- 25:14 - Back to Apollo - Subscriptions.
- 26:45 - Hot takes! Don't use Redux. Use Mobx, or Vue and VueX instead.
- 31:30 - Hot takes! Mutability is ok.
- 34:45 - I just want to use things that work, not the newest fanciest thing.
- 37:15 - Redux on the server!?
- 39:45 - You can write your app in jQuery and Redux (!?)
- 40:45 - Picks!