In episode 2, host Brandon Aaskov (Principal Software Developer, Rocket Insights) talks with Rocket Insights software developers Brian Manning, Jon Principe about the challenge of Developer phone screens and how we go about conducting them. We then move on to discuss whether or not to use homework as part of the interview process. As usual, we end with picks and then go into an extended discussion of Elixir and Phoenix!
- 0:00 - Intros
- 1:00 - What we do for phone screens
- 4:50 - What should you focus on in a phone screen?
- 8:50 - Should we give out homework? When?
- 11:45 - (Justified) Resistance to homework
- 15:20 - Updating existing codebases instead of new code
- 18:30 - Picks!
- 21:00 - The magic of Elixir and the return of Server Side Rendering!?