In our first episode, host Brandon Aaskov (Principal Software Developer, Rocket Insights) and Matt Merrill (Principal Software Developer, Rocket Insights) pontificate on what it means to be a backend developer in 2019. We delve into what "Full Stack" means, why you need to wait to scale, and a lot about interviewing!
Topics (including links to picks from the end):
- 0:00 - Intros
- 1:30 - What's the line between a front end and backend dev? Bootstrapping applications is important. Getting things going from scratch.
- 5:45 - Where backend dev blurs into devops.
- 6:30 - Hiring: Unicorns are hard to hire. What questions to ask on a backend interview.
- 10:15 - Walking into an existing backend codebase is hard
- 11:45 - Level of developer experience
- 12:30 - Ruby on Rails and choices already being made for you
- 15:00 - The demise of the backend developer? (Firebase/Backend As A Service, headless CMS's and DevOps)
- 20:00 - Start a backend cheaply and scale when you know more
- 22:30 - The art of a good API
- 25:00 - Back to backend interviews
- 26:30 - Soft skills are important
- 27:30 - Information hoarding and simplification of a backend
- 28:45 - We're horrible at math
- 29:15 - Picks:
- Code Sandbox - https://codesandbox.io/
- RunJS - https://runjs.dev/
- The Unix Philosophy writeup - https://homepage.cs.uri.edu/~thenry/resources/unix_art/ch01s06.html
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.